Labels

Welcome to the Eastern Moors blog site. In recent months this has been updated so that wardens, volunteers and supporters can now write blogs, submit photographs and comment on Eastern Moors topics. Please click on an appropriate tab above to get involved. If you are unsure how to post a picture, article or comment then please look at the Users Guide or email us.

Thursday 8 October 2015

A sunny summer volunteering on the Eastern Moors - Jake Hagyard, student placement

As my fourth and final year of university approaches and it’s time to knuckle down with the paper work, I’m taking the opportunity to reflect on my experiences of an interesting summer volunteering.
As a third year student of a four year degree, taking time to gain experience and beef up the CV was an opportunity that many students nod their heads too. 

At the start of summer I didn’t have any volunteering options but I contacted the Eastern Moor Partnership team who got back to me and explained what they could offer. I decided to volunteer three days a week over the summer months.

Each day was different; one day erecting a livestock fence, another slashing bracken. One thing that was consistent was the tea and biscuit breaks! The skills and knowledge I gained from my time on the Eastern Moors are invaluable. I learnt how environmental charities work in terms of funding and the management they do. A lot of the work was manual which involved using an array of digging, fencing and cutting tools. Not to mention the selection of off-roading vehicles used. I have also gained knowledge of native and invasive plant species.


I won’t forget the characters I met working alongside like minded people, it was great fun. Spending the summer out in a national park with spectacular views and maintaining a worthwhile environment was good for the soul. If there are any students who are looking to gain experience in working in countryside conservation then the Eastern Moors would be a great place to start. 

No comments:

Post a Comment